I pack more for a marathon than I do for a vacation. Some girls fill their suitcases with heels, but I’m more about racing flats and energy gels. Packing every. single. thing. I may need takes some stress out of race day.So, here’s what I pack to get to a race prepared. Better safe than sorry. I go a bit overboard…
First, race day outfit:
- 2 race outfit options–spandex or loose shorts (always a race morning decision)
- Running hat, only in case it rains
- Honey Stinger gels + waist pack (didn’t end up wearing and stuck the gels in my shorts)
- Old long sleeve tee to wear at the start and ditch
- Asics Gel Lyte shoes. I train in Mizuno Wave Inspires but these Asics are lighter and more cushion-y while still having enough support. Definitely a great option for racing a marathon.
For right after the race:
- Powerade and snacks (clif bar, luna bar, trail mix, apple)
- Clean set of sweats to stow in my gear check bag and change into (sweaty clothes get cold fast!)
- Towel and face wipes. I’m not concerned with how I look at the finish, but 26 miles of sweat on your face and in your eyes does NOT feel good.
- Inhaler, in my gear check bag too, just in case
Finally, for later that night:
- Icy Hot + Biofreeze + Advil (duh)
- Legging + tee + scarf + Toms for dinner later (comfy but close enough to a real outfit)
- Extra sweats + flip flops (in case leggings + tee + scarf outfit isn’t happening)
What can’t you live without on race day? Do you pack more for vacation or a race?