Now that my mileage is dropping and I’ve got a bit of time on my hands, I’ve started to realize all of the weird things I do when I’m tapering. Is it just me? Do you have any weird tapering habits? Here’s my top 5…
- Binge on Emergen-C and Zicam. Not sure if I’m actually getting a cold, or I just slept with my window open last night, or I’m just a hypochondriac, but when I’m about to race, but I always freak out that I’m getting sick.
- Run in really ugly running clothes. Haven’t figured out what I’m going to wear on race day, so I’ll only wear shirts and shorts that I know I won’t want. Yes, this morning I wore a yellow shirt and purple shorts. Not pretty.
- Icy Hot. You know it’s bad when you can smell icy hot when you’re sitting at your desk at work. Wonder if the girls notice that my cube smells like a high school cross country meet…
- Multiple cups of Sleepytime tea. Cut my miles in half and for the first time in months I’m tossing and turning in bed. Solution: Make camomile tea. Consider mixing with Emergen-C. Realize that’s a terrible awful idea. Go back to bed.
- Stock up on bananas. Is there a banana shortage? Nope. Am I going to eat 10 bananas in the next 3 days? Nope. BUT I CAN’T RISK RUNNING OUT OF BANANAS. Buy them all buy them ALL.
So what do you do when you’re in the middle of Taper Madness?