I don’t eat before I run on training days. But put me in the crossfit gym without a snack and I start to feel shaky. Maybe I actually need the fuel, or maybe the heavy weights and barbells just scare me. Either way, I need to eat something small before heading to my 5:30am class at Crossfit Shadyside. I used to open up a granola bar and take a few bites before running out the door, but then I hopped on the energy bite trend and figured out that I could make them myself!
Don’t be scared to dump everything in your food processor all at once. Order doesn’t matter. Just do it!
Lemon Bar Energy Bites
- 8 large medjool dates, pitted
- zest + juice of 1 lemon
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp oats
- dash salt
- Shredded coconut for rolling (don’t add to food processor)
- Add everything except the coconut to the food processor.
- Mix for about 30 seconds or until a sticky dough start to form. It should still be a little chunky.
- Put dough in the freezer for half an hour until it is firm enough to roll into balls.
- Roll into 12 bites and then roll in shredded coconut. Store in your fridge or freezer.
Coming soon: my thoughts on crossfit and running.
Do you eat before you workout? Send me your favorite easy pre-workout snack recipes!