Mexican Sweet Potato Skillet
- 1t olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup Trader Joe’s frozen roasted corn
- 2t taco seasoning
- 2 sausage patties, cooked and cut into cubes
- 2 eggs
I use Morningstar Farms meatless sausage patties, because I always have them on hand in my freezer, but you can use any kind!
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sweet potato cubes, cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft when pressed with your spatula. Stir occasionally.
- Add the red onion, cover (continuing to stir occasionally), and cook for about another 10 minutes until the onions begin to turn translucent.
- Add the corn (still frozen!), cooked sausage, and the taco seasoning and cook for 5 more minutes, until the corn is warm. While this is cooking, scramble or fry your eggs in a separate pan.
- Top the skillet with egg and eat up!
You can cook up this recipe (everything except for the eggs) ahead of time and store it in the fridge. In the morning, I just heat it up in a skillet with a spritz of olive oil and then cook and add the egg. I top it with ketchup. I eat a lot of things with ketchup (grilled cheese, mac n cheese, and eggs, just to name a few). I’ve been doing it since I was a kid. Weird? You tell me.
Do you have a go-to condiment that you add to everything?